Monday 14 November 2011

Upcoming Archtypes Part 1

So with the 5Ds era past us, and the Zexal one incoming, I thought I'd take a minute to discuss whats upcoming in the Archetype department, and also in Support for past archetypes. We are already 2 booster packs in, and a 3rd has most of its OCG setlist revealed.

In my honest opinion, this looks like one of the best eras yet. The release of XYZ monsters has drastically changed the way the game is played, much like when sycnhros were first introduced.

So looking at the first 3 sets of this generation, as well as the Hidden Arsenal archetypes , the next format is really shaping up.



Evols
I went over this before, but...
My personal favorite upcomer as of right now, the majority of this archetype (so far) is tournament legal on Tuesday. This archetype revolves around "Evolving" from a reptile, to a dinosaur, and finally, a big ass dragon. They show swarm, stun, and beatstick capabilities. I feel this deck needs a tuner to be completely competitive, however, it is extremely fun, escpecially for the local scene.

Inzecters

Holy balls, these guys are ridiculous. The looping capability this deck has is incredible. Played against this on DN a few times, and got slaughtered by the advantage this thing pulls out. When I first read these guys, I was like "Dragunity ripoff, will be about as played.. meh". Changed my mind. They can swarm super easy, and are all targets for DAD. I think of all the upcoming archetypes, this one shows the most potential to be top-tier (or at least tier 2) with the exception of the next archetype. Seriously, if you haven't yet, play around with these fuckers for a bit. My only complaint is that Veiler and SIM shut this deck completely down if timed properly.

 Wind-ups

 
Okay, so these guys are probably going to be the ones that shine the most. For some reason, they remind me of Blackwings, which I dont understand, cause they are nothing alike aside from the swarming. Maybe its the searcher, maybe its the ridiculous amount of support, IDK. These guys have a nifty little loop with one of their XYZ boss's (Zenmaighty?) and Wind-up Rat to swarm like a boss. I personally see this as an archetype that will constantly have support, so its hard to say where this will take us.

Photons



 To be honest, I dont see this archetype as a whole seeing much play. The idea behind them seems good (2k light beaters?) however, it seems very inconsistant. The only reason I figured I would mention them is 1) They are the main Zexal Characters archetype, and 2) Their support they give other archetypes is pretty badass. I got pwned by Photon Booster and Photon Lead last week at locals, and I see much more decent support coming out in the future. Maybe ORCS will have some decent s/t support for other lights. 
Also, GEPD in dragons. When the new structure deck comes out, I think he'll see more play, seeing as hes a light 3k beater who can easily be SSed by REDMD. With a situational effect that *COULD* come in handy.
This will conclude part 1 of this series. Next time, I'm hoping ill get  to touch up on Ninjas (YAY), Lavals, Steelswarm, and Gishki. 

Also, I know I said I was going to do locals reports - Im still on it. I have shitty memory, and I want them to be detailed, so I need to find a means to record the duels, so I can actually report on them. And writing while doing it is time-consuming, and not to mention focus-consuming. Ill test something tonight at locals.

-YGOFactor

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually most interested in seeing what Photon can eventually due. The Twin Photon Lizard being able to fuse any two Photon monsters you have is awesome, it reminds me of Heroes in a way with the flexibility to combine basically any two monsters you have to make something awesome. Not to mention that it essentially is just a means for being able to drop two bigger monsters into play and swarm for pretty big damage.

    ReplyDelete